GSR 2020 – Saturday Ride
Saturday’s ride features a stop at the home of Bob Allen in Camp Nelson. Outdoor dining available. Only 56 miles but twisty and fun.
There are 2 return options:
- Easy Return: Back the way we came for a total of about 112 miles.
- Scenic Return: Return through Porterville and California Hot Springs for an aggressive 156 mile day. This route heads down to the valley and then south and back over the mountain via Hot Springs Road.
The route you take is your choice. Both are fun options.
- Cell phone coverage is poor on any of the higher elevation areas, so be prepared.
- All the roads are paved and should be in good condition. Still, I would use caution while riding.
- This route has significant local traffic. Watch blind corners.
- There is no gas between Kernville and the lodge. Top off before starting.
- If you take the ‘Easy Return’ route, it will be about 56 miles back to Kernville. Total of 112 miles for the day.
- It you take the ‘Scenic Return’ route, the total mileage for the day will be 156 miles. The first and last gas opportunity is in Porterville at S Plano Ave (85.2 miles)
- Remember that these routes are twisty with significant climbing. Assume low end mileage per gallon.
Morning Route to Ponderosa Lodge
|Odd||Leg||Location – Direction||Waypoint Link|
|0||Kernville Inn- Kernville Road North||https://goo.gl/maps/H2uD12oyWG9Khxqz7|
|0.4||0.4||Left on Sierra Way|
|29.3||28.9||Right on Great Western Divide Hwy|
|56.0||26.7||BBQ Lunch by Bob Allen|
974 highway 190, Camp Nelson. 93265
Look for red balloons in driveway.
Scenic Return to Kernville
|56.0||Continue toward Porterville|
|82.5||26.5||Left on S Plano St (Take Plano St North for Shell Gas)||https://goo.gl/maps/CXvXuHZxS8uLkRvD7|
|95.8||13.3||Bear left on Hot Springs Rd (toward Ca Hot Springs)|
|114||18.2||California Hot Springs (refreshment available)||https://goo.gl/maps/nPwDCDhhMVskcwQv6|
|155.6||41.6||Right on Kernville Rd|